
We now have teenager chickens. They're mostly grown and eating more everyday! Since they seem to spend all their waking moments eating and then sleep the rest of the time, it seems appropriate to think of them as teenagers.

Here are some pictures of the chickens (and Katie--whose favorite pastime is picking them up and kissing them). The coop below is outfitted with roosts and nest boxes, water and food. It is insulated (R11 for the geeks), sided with vinyl siding and roofed with discarded roofing materials. It uses passive solar heating, as well as a thermostatically controlled heat lamp! (Bret added his two cents to the coop info--can you tell?) The attached pen allows them outside during the day (they all go into the coop at dusk to settle in for the night). They also enjoy hiding under the coop (which I enclosed with chicken wire). August refused to pose for a close up picture. I tried!


Katie seems to ask several times a day to go play with the chickens. She has told me she's their mom--but I insist that I must wait for cuter and more well-behaved grandchildren! :-)
1 comment:
That coop is amazing! Does Bret have a suggestion for keeping my pet rabbit warm this winter? He has to live outside in his hutch because I'm allergic (and he stinks).
Post a Comment