Monday, March 8, 2010
Update on Sugarin'
So, after four days of boiling sap outside on the firepit, I finally had some sap boiled down enough to bring inside to finish. I set it up, but then forgot it was on the stove! BIG MISTAKE! When I heard the fire alarm go off, I raced upstairs but it had boiled over. I had a huge mess, but some redeemable syrup. I ended up setting some aside for "candy" because it was too sticky/thick to use for anything else. It all tasted a little smoky because of the wood fire. It also was a little burnt from the boiling over inside, but still edible and maple-flavored. I still have another batch ready to finish inside (I'll be watching this more closely)! And I have another 10 gallons of sap that need to be cooked down outside. Unfortunately the weather (which was great last week) has turned wet and I'll have to wait to do it. I have learned one thing. Syrup is expensive for a reason! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment