Double Chocolate Almond Biscotti
6 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2-1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup sliced, toasted, almonds
extra 1 cup mini choc chips, melted
Preheat oven to 375F
Beat butter till creamy, add sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, beat until well blended. Add eggs and extracts, beat until eggs are incorporated. Add as much of the flour as the mixer can handle, stir in any remaining flour by hand. Stir in 1/2 c. choc chips and the almonds.
Divide dough in half and shape each half into a log (about 8" long) Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Press down lightly to a 2" width. Bake 20 to 25 min. Cool on the baking sheet for 30 min while adjusting oven temp to 325F. Then slice the loaves diagonally into 1/2" to 1" thick slices with serrated knife. Lay flat on the baking sheet and bake again 8 to 10 minutes then turn over and bake again 8-10 min. Cool completely on wire rack and then dip one end of each cookie in melted chocolate. Firm up on wax paper and store in airtight container.
I frequently adapt this recipe and often omit the chocolate (it's more work). I tried making a maple pecan version, but if you try this I recommend using maple extract. The maple syrup I used was not a strong enough flavor--even though I used 1/4 cup of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment