Friday, December 19, 2008

A Final Glimpse of Florida...(before looking at WINTER in the Midwest!!!)













Here we are visiting an old friend of Bret's who has moved to TN. Paul has a home on an acreage with goats, cats, chickens, etc. We gave milking a goat a try...
































At Homosassa Springs State Park we saw manatees, flamingoes, alligators, and many other native species. They had a neat boat tour and much more reasonable rates than many other places offering similar programs. We really enjoyed this experience!


We then visited Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL. Would you believe that before visiting Busch Gardens we never associated it with Anheuser-Busch Beer!?! Surprise, surprise! They had a lot of animals and rides which we all enjoyed! Katie and I went on the ride below. August is NOT a fan of rollercoasters or other rides that lift you into the air. But, I was able to get Katie to take a chance and join me. I never expected to have to cajole my kids onto rides at themeparks! I always thought it would be the other way around!





















At Sarasota we stopped by America's sandiest beach. It was like walking in flour!!! We spent a little time on the beach in the afternoon before continuing on to our next destination.















The Seminole Reservation in the Everglades was our next stop. We took an airboat ride in the glades and saw alligators in the wild. We also saw some dancers in native dress. They did some traditional Seminole dances. We slept that night in a chikee (below) and it actually got a little cold that night!

















Then we travelled on to the Keys. We spent two nights camping at Long Key (about halfway between Key Largo and Key West) at a State Park. Our campsite was right on the ocean, facing southward toward the Bahamas. It was beautiful and warm and relaxing!!! I told Bret while we were there that I may want to take a trip just to that lovely campsite again! Maybe spend a week in that one spot, enjoying the sun and water and sand...













































The crab above is named "Crabby" and we rescued him or her from certain death while attempting to cross the road. Crabby, unfortunately, was NOT grateful and snapped at Bret (who bravely put Crabby into the bucket and placed him in the shallow water of the ocean). We were slightly put out, yet continued in our efforts! Crabby was not swayed, however and immediately crawled back out of the water and toward the road. What was he/she thinking???

The pelican was not attacking the children, but stealing the yummy dead fish we were feeding to the tarpon.
I think this is my last Florida entry. There were many more pictures and stories to tell, but alas, you will have to manage not knowing every single detail of our trip... The next time I'll write more about Christmas and send chilly pictures of Peoria--then you'll wish there were more sandy beach and sunset pics. There is no pleasing some people! :-)

1 comment: