Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sugarin' Time

It's sugarin' time. The first tree we tapped is still not producing, but the 4 other maple trees we put taps on have produced about 16 gallons now. We started tapping for real on Sunday, so it took about 3 days to collect that amount. As you can see, I'm having fun on this new adventure. Never done this before--so who knows what we'll end up with! :-)
Here you see my five-match-fire. I started it with two matches and went inside to get some supplies. When I returned it was smoking, but not burning, so I started it again (3 more matches). Clearly I am a highly skilled mountaineer-type person.
Here are the additional, high-tech, sap-gathering instruments. Bret bought me a fancy pants bucket with a lid, but since we need 40 gallons of maple sap for our 1 gallon of syrup, clearly more buckets were needed.
Here you see the 16 gallons of sap (very clear) which I collected and am slowly boiling today. Hopefully we will have success (success in this case is defined as some syrup for the Saturday morning pflinzen (aka crepes))! Well, back to the fire!

2 comments:

Janes Family said...

Good job!!! :)

Bonita said...

My mom wants to make ou own maple syrup but it sure looks like a lot of work.