Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Backpacking Saga II




 The terrain was beautiful, hilly, rocky and lots of trees.  We enjoyed a lot of shady resting spots.  Our usual hiking process is that Bret is the leader and I am the caboose.  He keeps us from getting lost and I herd the slow ones and encourage the frustrated, etc..
 Below you see the dog resting while still carrying his pack.  He tried, I've got to give him credit for doing his best.  I wonder what he was thinking.  Everytime we took a rest, he seemed to hope we were stopping for the night and when we got up again our 8 year old puppy looked at us like we were nuts.  Several times he just refused to get up! 

Well we all survived, and Schwarzie is truly part of our pack.  At the beginning he was the "slowest gazelle" (our term for whoever's last--you know what happens to the slowest gazelle!) and I was always turning around and calling him.  After we took the pack off the dog, he went a little faster and when he got ahead a little ways, he stopped and looked back for me.  What a sweet memory of my faithful puppy!


 There were several places where massive stones stood close but not touching each other like this.  Some places the path went between.  I found it a little claustrophobic!
There was one shady spot where Bret found a rattlesnake, we steered clear of that.  We saw very little wildlife, deer and the snake, but the ticks were prolific and we found several on our clothes and skin.

No comments: