This was a practice hike at Matthiessen State Park to prepare us for our weekend backpacking trip to Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. Schwarz tried out his small but useful pack and the kids carried an assortment of books and other "heavy" things in their smaller packs. The enthusiasm for hiking is clearly visible in our son's face...don't you think?
More evidence of enthusiasm below! :-) When asked if he'd like to go to outdoor camp (where they hike and sleep in tents) my son responded, "Why would I do that when I can just do that with you guys?"
They did have some fun, I think. At least they didn't complain the whole time. I'm not sure if we're giving them valuable life experiences and opening up the natural world for them to explore...or...if we're preparing them for years of expensive therapy sessions!




No comments:
Post a Comment