Friday, January 8, 2010

The Christmas Tree Hunt!


It's become a new tradition. Every year we go to a nearby tree farm in mid-December to select the sacrificial tree which will adorn our living room for Christmas. I am in charge of the final selection, however I generally choose trees which will not fit in our living room, so I rely on my wonderful hubby to tell me if they're too tall. I love the free cider, and the beautiful wreaths (I often buy one for the front doorway).
Lest you feel we are wasting valuable trees by using fresh trees and cutting them down... The tree's life does not stop there. It is stored in the back "40" until the following November for a special purpose. Then on Guy Fawkes Day (also Bret's birthday) we burn the lovely dry ex-Christmas tree. This serves several purposes: it celebrates a birthday, remembers Guy Fawkes Day (which we learned about while living in Labrador), and gives my husband an opportunity to express his pyromaniacal tendencies in a socially appropriate way! :-)

No comments: