Monday, November 29, 2010

Bread Baking

I have been experimenting with bread recipes for a while. I was looking for a more substantial or hearty bread than the oatmeal bread, wheat bread and white bread that I've been baking for many years. In my research I came across a book called "My Bread" which involves an artisanal no-knead variety which needs to rise at room temp for 12 to 18 hours. This is pretty much what I've been looking for. Above is pictured one of the loaves I made of the white bread. There are also whole wheat and rye varieties. This is a crusty and substantial bread and we are really enjoying it. It bakes in a hot dutch oven in the oven for about 1/2 hour. The recipe follows below if any of you would like to try it...

Mix together in large glass bowl until its a very sticky dough:
3 c. flour (good flour)
1 1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. active dry yeast (yes this is correct)
1 1/3 c. cool water
Add a little more water if the dough is not sticky
Cover with plastic wrap and towel, raise 12 to 18 hours at room temp.

Then scrape dough onto heavily floured surface in one piece. Shape gently into round by gently lifting edges to the center. Sprinkle cornmeal onto linen or cotton tea towel and lift the dough onto towel, seam side down. Cover and let rise 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven to 450 and put dutch oven (with lid) into oven 1/2 hour before rising time is complete. When the dutch oven is hot, liberally sprinkle cornmeal into bottom of the dutch oven. Gently lift the raised loaf and tip seam-side up into hot dutch oven & cover.

Bake 25 min covered then remove lid (I leave it in the oven on the side) and bake uncovered 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove and cool completely on rack.

This bread makes me want to tear hunks off and just eat it fresh. It smells wonderful and just a little sour, although it's not a sourdough at all. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I think I will make it next week!