Monday, November 29, 2010

Remodeling Continued...

Above you see the kitchen with the oven and fridge removed and the cabinets still in place. Demolition is about to begin...
Ha! Here we are Bret on the left and his dad helping on the right. Lest you think I was laying around while the guys worked on the kitchen...look on...I am lugging one of many garbage cans full of broken drywall and plaster. Note the soffit is gone! Yay!

Below, breaking the drywall between the joists to make it easier to break off the pieces. I used the sledge hammer side of the axe to break through one layer of drywall (the living room is on the other side of the wall and we didn't want to break all the way through). Fear not! Our living room survived without a scratch!
Posing with the sledge hammer. As a trained mental health professional (although I am not currently practicing my craft) I highly recommend demolition as a stress-management technique. For those who may wish to try this at home--I do recommend that you have a plan for the repair/rejuvenation of the space before you commence destruction.
We got the walls out in one day (although there are a few tricky places that need a little more attention). We will be taking out the floor tile next. Found a layer of linoleum below the tile and subfloor...interesting...
Also, we were somewhat surprised/concerned to see no insulation in the exterior walls. No wonder the walls felt cold in winter. Not to worry--insulation was part of our plan!

No comments: