Thursday, January 13, 2011

The last brownie...

So, I made brownies a couple of days ago, and they never last long. This morning Bret took the second last brownie to work with him for lunch. The kids tried to talk me into letting them have the last brownie for breakfast. I (being a wise and good mother) decided that brownies are not breakfast food. Instead, I suggested, they could have it for snack after school and I'd make eggs for breakfast.

So, after school (and a couple errands) we arrived home and I offered the brownie. The kids said okay and decided to play their new favorite video game. I got the brownie out and cut it into two equal pieces (as only a wise and good mother can) and set them out on the table stating "Brownies." (Usually this is enough to get the kids running from a mile away, but they were into the game and said "okay" instead.)

I went out to the back and let the dog in and got supper started, thinking no more about brownies. About 10 minutes later I checked in with the kids and asked how the brownie was. "We haven't had them yet" was the response. I, looking at the table sans brownie, said "yeah, right!" "No, we haven't!" I pointed at the table--"someone ate the brownie." At this point I seriously questioned my children's honesty. I thought maybe they were trying for seconds by claiming they hadn't had firsts.

But the problem was...it WAS the last brownie. I then spotted two napkins on the carpet. Hmm. "Are you sure you didn't eat the brownie?" I asked again. The kids--finally interested, and looking for their snack--said "NO, we didn't eat it." I turned and saw our dog Schwarz, licking his chops and reclining on his pillow in the corner.

I think I know what happened to the last brownie.

No comments: